Total: R0.00

The “Footy”

The Footy is a class of remote controlled sailing boat, named for its class requirement of having a 1 foot hull length. This makes the first challenge when 3d printing one to either find a big enough printer, or split the model into sections.

1. A Big Enough Printer

Although my Ender gives me far less trouble, the A8 plus has served me well and has been my favourite printer so far. We used it as a print-farm machine, so it needed a little more maintenance, like a hard working pick up truck.

I took the boat model off thingiverse a while ago, since then the footy class people have really embraced 3D Printing and there are many more designs.

Fig1: Footy hull in green on the Anet A8 Plus, first successful full hull print.

2. Dialling In For A 36 Hour Job

I changed the bearings and hot end, oiled the rails, increased the current of the steppers and tightened up everything and anything that may have come loose after a year of running in the print farm. I was also experimenting with the addition of a BLtouch at the time.

To get the thermals running smoothly, even over night, I did a PID tune of the hot end. I was printing in winter, where the day-night temperature changes can cause some trouble.

3. Printing

After three failed attempts, where the forces and twisting moment on top of the part broke it away from the bed, I used a skirt to get the extra bed adhesion

Vid 1: Printing and all the stringing, this was a filament issue, hence the move to green

We don’t stock the filament used for this project any more, it may have gone better with our Mad Hornet ST-PLA Filament.

4. Putting The “RC” Into The Boat

The RC servo protocol is well built, and the wiring was pretty simple.

Fig 2: Showing the RC motors embedded in the hull.

The rudder and pin in the hull still needed some refining after this iteration.

Fig 3: Showing the rudder and pin in the hull

5. Sink It And Ruining The RC Transceiver (Optional)

Not an essential step, and not a recommended one either, but unfortunately one that I took.

Do not do this. As you can see from the thingiverse link, there were some issue with the hull and electronics not having a “dry box” in the boat.

6. Refine The Model

It was a fun little project, and although there is still some room to improve the design, it should be fine, as long as I don’t capsize.

Fig 4: Changes to hull to make it watertight and still able to house the electronics, mast, rudder and keel
Fig 5: Mounting the servo motors.

7. Repeat Until Functional

Hopefully with less sinking.

Fig6: final model with foot for scale

If you would like us to print one ofthese:
1. hulls
2. servo brackets
3. rudder
4. and keel
for you. Please contact us.

Signed
Peter

Leave a Reply

X